- Game characters should abide by their programming.
- Game characters are free to move about after the arcade is closed.
- If a character dies outside their game, they die permanently.
- Some characters can suffer from "glitches."
- Characters with glitches cannot ever leave their game.
- Bugs in Hero's Duty are drawn to the beacon.
- It is possible to access and manipulate game code.
...and on and on. I think if I worked at it, I would probably find about 25 or so of these. It makes sense that a story about game characters would be rife with rules.
What I didn't like: so many characters were mean, angry, and rude. Ironically, the least angry character was Q*Bert. I don't think it was necessary to have absolutely every character be so angry and mean so much of the time... it was kind of off-putting.
Anyway -- it certainly made me pine for the old arcade days, and I really was pleased to see such a solid and surprising rule-based storyline. I very much believe that if you want your story to seem real, it must be real to you. It certainly was real to the writers!