Sunday, January 17, 2010

Avatar

I saw this on opening night, something I almost never do. I wasn't really sure what to expect. The main thing that surprised me was how solid the digital acting was -- good eye contact, great expressiveness. Learning more about the process they used, I get it now -- Cameron could see rough digital actors and sets live during, so he could direct with near perfect feedback. The story was a little corny, but that's okay -- it made me think of old pulp stories, like Edgar Rice Burroughs used to write. Interestingly, the film's message was really about authenticity -- how technology has separated us from the real world, but weirdly, how that same technology might be used to break through to the real world again. I wonder -- is the movie popular because of the novel effects, or because this message of the importance of authenticity? Or both?

No comments:

Post a Comment