Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Journey to the Center of the Earth

The family and I went to see this on a total whim. I didn't expect much, but really, it was a lot of fun! It was surprisingly respectful to the original text, not that it was the literal story, but instead it assumes that Verne's story was not fiction at all, but secretly true. The film had a dreamlike quality, which was enhanced by the 3D, which made suspension of disbelief much easier. There were a lot of funny and fun scenes -- it was certainly more fun than any previous film version of the story. The film did little to convince me that 3D will become standard for movies or for TV the "boundary breaking" problem remains -- it always feels like you are looking into a box. All the problems that Hitchcock encountered on "Dial M for Murder" are still with us. I will bet money that 3D TV will still not be standard in the year 2020.

I also liked that there was nothing in the film I would be embarrassed to have a seven year old see.

No comments:

Post a Comment