Friday, February 5, 2010

Fight Club

I picked this up, curious what all the fuss was about. I was especially curious since some people say the book is better than the movie, and others say the movie is better than the book. I can't say I liked this very much, but it was certainly well-crafted. The protagonist was so whiny, it was hard for me to relate. But, at the same time, the whole book is a battle cry for authenticity, which seems to be a hallmark of the times -- I wonder if that was more of a driver for the popularity of this book than was the creepy graphic detail -- because there is a lot of that. The book really takes on the notion of how being cut off from reality makes a person crazy -- and is arguably making an argument that this is what is happening to society right now. I really enjoyed a lot of the devices Palahniuk uses in this. It really worked well as an audiobook, too -- I think it would have been much flatter just as text. I have to admit, it makes me wonder what the consequences will be as we get farther and farther from the natural world.

No comments:

Post a Comment