Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Philosophy of Andy Warhol

This book made a deep impression on me. Somehow, I expected it to be more profound, and instead I got a real sense of what Andy's everyday life is like. It was kind of depressing. He had a lot of the same tendencies I do, that is, towards agoraphobia, leading to a life of hiding from people behind various eccentric masks. Reading this really made me see how broken it is to give into those tendencies, and ever since I read it, I've actively been trying to shed those behaviors.

A big part of his life is all about being cut off from nature -- he seems most comfortable when he is eating packaged food and watching television. I guess this made him a natural for New York City. One thing I really enjoyed: The Andy Warhol New York Diet. Eat in restaurants every day, and only order food you don't like. Toy with it while the others eat. That way you'll eat very little. Take the leftovers in a bag, and give them to a homeless person.

Parts were insightful, and parts were simply dreadful and tedious to read. But that seems to be part of the point, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment