Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Raw Shark Texts

This was a recent Schell Games book club reading, that I think I would never have found otherwise. People who saw me reading it kept asking what it is about, and it certainly is hard to describe! It's a strange amnesia-adventure novel that revolves around the idea that the world of words is unexpectedly tangible, and that life forms made of words, concepts, and ideas are around us, and interacting with us, all the time. To make clear the point, the text makes use of clever typography -- I can't imagine that an audiobook would make much sense. I'd be hesitant to even try this on the kindle. Anyway, I wished it had more dimension to it, but it was inventive, novel, and fun, and it made me think a bit about the relationship between life, text, and ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I am about 1/4 of the way into this book and it has just changed direction redically (1st encounter with the shark).
    I had it pegged as a quirky amnesia story up until that point, but now I feel as if I fell into a whole new world. What a great feeling it is when something that unexpected happens.
    Nice recommendation.
    /Rob

    ReplyDelete