Sunday, June 7, 2009

Outliers

Malcolm Gladwell does it again! I wish I could write about important things so lucidly -- and so often! This book will keep the world thinking for a while, I have to say! The short summary is that hard work, environment, and luck are what make people successful, more so than innate ability. Also, lots of talk (and evidence) that 10,000 hours working on something makes you into a world-class expert at it. At first I thought maybe I've got 10,000 hours of juggling in, but adding it up, it only comes to 3 or 4 thousand. Now, game design, that's something else... to my surprise, I have something like 35,000, when I add it up! Jeez, you'd think I'd be better at it.

Oh! And the idea of the Power Distance Index was worth the whole book.

No comments:

Post a Comment