Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Art of War

Someday, I'll make a collection of all the "The Art of" books. This is a book I've been meaning to read for ages. I tried once before, but it didn't hold my interest. Surely, in audiobook form, read by Joe Montegna, it will be more interesting, right? Okay, not so much. I mean, it wasn't bad, and at least it was short. So much of it rings true -- my favorite quote, by far:
In general, in battle one engages with the orthodox, and gains victory through the unorthodox. Thus, one who excels at sending forth the unorthodox is as inexhausible as heaven, as unlimited as the Yangtze and Yellow Rivers.
So, the book itself is short -- only about 90 minutes of reading. Sadly, there is another 150 minutes of commentary, which was mind-numbingly dull. It did, however, move me to compose a poem:

Thoughts inspired by Ralph D. Sawyer's commentary on Sun Tzu's The Art of War

Warring
is boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment