Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cugel's Saga

My history with this book is kind of strange. I bought it somewhere in about 1986, I'm not sure why. I read a chapter or so of it, and was really captivated -- I'm not sure I'd ever read a novel where the main character was not a hero, but rather a devilish trickster. For some reason, I never read any further, and over the years, the book disappeared. But it always stayed on my mind, somehow. A little while ago, for some reason, I decided I wanted to read it, so I found a used copy online. I kind of figured it would disappoint me -- but it did not! It was even more fun and enjoyable than I remembered. Jack Vance manages to make a world that is absolutely fascinating, and weave together an interesting series of trickster tales more engaging than I have ever read. It is completely clear to me that Vance truly, truly loved writing. Every word and phrase is given such loving attention, and his vocabulary is so interesting. I am intrigued to find more of his work.

This would make a really great special effects movie! What with all the giant demons, etc. I've spent a lot of time thinking about fantasy worlds, and the world described here is one of the most interesting, fun medieval fantasy worlds I've ever heard described.

No comments:

Post a Comment