Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fantastic Contraption

So, when I say I finished this, I really mean that I've played all of it I'm going to play -- some levels were just too hard for me. Everyone talks about this like it is a mini version of the Incredible Machine, but really, it's much more interesting, because of the way you can build complex machines that move. Physics games are going to be an interesting new genre over the next ten years -- and I think that many of them will follow the patterns that Fantastic Contraption sets.

I'm so looking forward to the first physics game MMO!

1 comment:

  1. I have a physics game MMO that I've been cooking up. In fact, I need to start prototyping it and I could use some advice:

    I have been reading your book (thank you for writing this!) and wondering how I can start prototyping some of my game ideas. I have no programming background, but I really believe in the power of the prototype. What would you suggest would be an approachable prototyping tool for the non-programming designer?

    -If I had a programmer on my team, I would have them make the prototype, but I don't have access to one :-(

    I saw something that Digipen was using that seemed quite approachable (though I can't remember the name of it). I came across GameMaker (http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/) and will probably give it a try, but was left wondering if you might know of anything better?

    ReplyDelete