Sunday, October 6, 2013

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

I've been a Zappa fan for about 25 years now, and though I've had this album since college, I never really listened to it. Partly the creepy cover keeps me away from it, and then the first track is just a painful cacophony. There are definitely some solid songs on here, but there is no unity to this album -- things don't feel connected in any way, and compared to other Zappa albums, it's not much fun to listen to. Better, probably, to just pull the good tracks out and stir them into your MP3 player.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's a bit of a mish-mash of mostly live material from various sources. I do think that the contiguous tracks "Oh No" and Orange County Lumber Truck" are wonderful.

    This weekend, while taking a little road trip, I listened to "The Grand Wazoo," one of my favorite of Zappa's (mostly) instrumental albums. It was good road music!

    ReplyDelete