Thursday, May 14, 2015

Dynamite 8

Found a "bomb blue" Dynamite 8 at the same "vintage fair" where I found this. I'm so excited! I gave it a little TLC, and it is totally working! My teenage aunt had one of these back in the 70s, and I always thought it was the coolest. This is my first 8 track player. My parents (and everyone else) had one when I was a kid, but the players and the tapes tend to be so fragile that I never had one myself. 8 tracks are kind of magical, locked in time as they are. They are so distinct -- their big weird shape, with the big color label, and the way the labels are so aged... they have so much character. And there is a sound 8 tracks have that is, I don't know -- unique. Not like vinyl, but not so hissy like cassettes. Anyway, I'm thrilled to have my own 8 track player at last! Especially one as cool as the Dynamite 8, with it's amazing plunger. It can't change tracks by itself... but that's kind of cool, because it means you get to use the plunger a lot! It's funny, I never really thought about the fact that each of the four tracks on an 8-track is like a 45, with it's pair of songs. I just got a box of old 8 tracks in the mail via ebay, too... so this is guaranteed to be a rockin' 70's dance party weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 2XL was the best! An 8 track player, and a comedian robot who played triangular connect four. Definitely the pinnacle of both technology and culture.

      Delete